Thursday, January 13, 2011

clueless



the other day i made another poor decision.
& today i find myself once more
in the shoe store over on prince street
& some other avenue or street. 
it seems that now
i don’t like the shoes that, after all,
i handpicked after careful consideration
during my lunch break: 
either on monday or tuesday.
it seems that now i would like 
to exchange them for a different pair:
except,
except that now that i’m less doubtful
about what i want
they don’t have my size
& i don’t want to settle this time or the next 
for choice # 2 or choice # 3, 
despite everything nowadays 
requiring so much energy, 
so much enthusiasm,
so many unpaid or unacknowledged after-hours. 
“i’m sorry but we don’t have them 
in stock,” they tell me 
with a rehearsed smile, 
after going to the back again just to make sure.
thus  i get a refund & ask the manager
to give me a buzz
if in a week or 2 my shoe size comes in
with their new shipment. 
for after 14 days i can’t promise anyone
let alone my feet
that i still will have the dough
to buy them, to painfully break them in:
money, too, being, 
like so many other things in my life,
scarce resource,
time-sensitive material.
the other day i threw my old pair away.
      

c. a. campos, 2011   

No comments:

Post a Comment